Monday, November 22, 2010

Snow and Wind = low windchill factor

Snowy boat...
11/22/10


25.1 °F
Blowing Snow

Windchill:
10 °F
 Humidity:
69%
Wind:

22.0 mph from the NE
Wind Gust:
30.0 mph
Pressure:
29.65 in (Rising)
Visibility:
2.5 miles
Clouds:
Overcast 4900 ft
(Above Ground Level)




Snowy docks...
Wintertime is here in spades.  It snowed heavily today, and now it’s stopped, but the NE winds are blowing 20-35 knots. Just now, I went outside in semi-dark (5pm) to take the bimini top off before it would destroy itself.  I was shocked to realize how cold and useless my fingers became in that wind!  I had to do the job in 2 trips, warming up my hands in between.  It’s serious enough that now I need to get a canvas maker to make a secondary inside canvas door to slow down the cold that’s coming thru the door…my little Espar heater is going has fast as it can, burning up diesel, but it’s still cold in here.  I’ve hung a comforter clamped on either side of the door inside the cabin and that’s helping, plus now I’ve added an electric heater to help out, so my fingers can hit this keyboard (at least semi-accurately).  I don’t even want to know what my electric bill will be this month.
Snowy port...

If it weren’t so darn cold, it would be kind of fun.  When I walked to the gym today, there were a few people walking on the street with smiles on their faces.  Everyone had to walk carefully, doing the icy sidewalk shuffle (at least that’s what I call it). Not many cars on the road, and the ones that were there were going really slow. I stayed at the gym for a good 3 hours, part of that enjoying their hot tub.  What luxury on a day like this!


and Snowy town
 I did my first Yoga class in a really long time…it was HARD.  Even though there is no jumping around, I was huffing and puffing!  I’ve found out that my balance is not very good, standing on one leg with my arms spinning around like a badly misaligned windmill and hopping around on one leg trying to stay up without using my other leg.  If I keep at it (3xs a week) hopefully my balance will improve.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Howard, Happy Thanksgiving! Well I am thankful for all the music we have created and the music we will create. Sounds like you are already making headway into the music scene up there. Tom and I saw Jeff Lorber Fusion a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed the band: Eric Marienthal alto, Jimmy Haslip bass, Will Kennedy drums. I would like to see the Yellow Jackets with Will Kennedy but they are not on the Kuumbwa calendar yet. Tom and I got to play with Chris O'Hara and he was sounding great. I zoomed it but I have not listened to it yet. Well, enjoy your adventure, wake up with an attitude of gratitude and be open to what comes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Non-trivial weather. My memory tells me this cold is way more extreme than the usual FH weather.

    Congratulations on the launching of your blog. It is number one on my bookmark list.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete